Looking for the best WordPress file upload plugins that let you manage file upload-related all tasks easily? Continue with this review.
In this rapidly developing world of web content, WordPress can be considered a pioneer among passionate people and webmasters. Web content developers and website administrators around the globe prefer WordPress as their 1st CMS platform for hosting their websites. Read our guide on WordPress vs craft CMS: which one is the best?
However, one of the most noticeable limitations of this platform is its lack of a proper file upload feature. By default, WordPress doesn’t provide an option for viewers to upload files to a website directly.
If you run a client-based website or author site, then you’ll need to add an option so that visitors can submit a specific type of file. The most convenient way is to via a WordPress file upload plugin.
Here, in this article, we bring you a list of some of the best WordPress file upload plugins out there. Let’s go!
Why Should You Use a WordPress File Upload Plugin?
A WordPress file upload plugin can make your website more user-friendly and much smoother and hassle-free. As a website administrator, you can avail of multiple benefits if you opt to include a file upload plugin to your website. No matter what your website goal is.
Below are some excellent benefits:
- Introduce a customer support feature where visitors/customers can upload screenshots of their problems.
- Obtain quotes from clients if you run a service website.
- Receive guest posts on your website to boost your affiliate program or further enrich your blog.
- Accept guest submissions on your personal website.
- Allow supporters to submit pictures or other submissions if you run a giveaway.
- Collect resumes or video CVs of applicants if you run an institutional website.
- Collect cover letters from interested students if you’re a professor looking for students under your supervision.
What Features Are Must in A WordPress File Upload Plugin?
Before jumping into the list of the best WordPress site upload plugins, let’s get to know about some of the vital features that make them stand out from the rest.
Besides, these plugins have some additional options to enhance your experience further.
The plugin should be able to –
- Integrate with a form builder plugin.
- Most common extensions should be custom feature like e-signature.
- Supports popular plugins like WooCommerce.
- Increase the default file size limit by extending the media library.
Types of WordPress File Upload
The WordPress media library is the fundamental repository to store all the files that you upload to a website. Although there are some fields of radical improvements that let you allow upload a variety of files by default.
Types of WordPress Files that allow you upload
- Image file upload – .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, and .ico
- Audio file upload – .mp3, .m4a, .ogg, and .wav
- Video file upload – .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mpg, .ogv, .3gp, and .3g2
- Document file upload – .pdf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .ppsx, .odt, .xls, .xlsx, and .psd
However, this is not the limit. Using a file upload plugin, you can further expand this list of file uploads to have the most fluid experience.
8 Free + Premium Best WordPress File Upload Plugins For You
File Upload Type by WPForms
This plugin simply does what it’s supposed to – nothing more, nothing less. If you’re frustrated with the sheer limited number of file upload types that WordPress allows by default, this plugin can be the most straightforward solution for you. Simply install this plugin and expand the opportunities for file uploads.
The plugin is also compatible with WPForms so you can enhance the user experience for your visitors. Stop worrying about the default limitations once and for all. It’s best-rated as a WordPress zip file uploader plugin.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Support for zip, .xml, .csv, .ai, and, .cad extensions.
- Intuitive internal whitelist options.
Price: Free to download.
Formidable Form Builder
If you tired of using two separate plugins – one for form and another for enhancing file upload options, this can be a lifesaver.
This plugin combines the most exquisite features of a fully functional powerful form builder that has a WordPress file upload feature. Simply integrate this form builder plugin to your website, and you’re all set.
You can even set a number of files that let users allow to upload files. The possibilities are limitless.
- Effortless integration to the website.
- Email notification features for file uploads.
- Innovative file resizing options.
Price: The premium version starts from $49 per year, but there is a 14-day risk-free trial option.
WPForms radically improves the file upload experience for your visitors by integrating it to your website. If you host forms or surveys on your website, it can be a lifesaver since it allows uploading files in a breeze.
There are numerous templates that allow customization. You can even track your form submission and protect your website from spam attacks.
- Responsive templates with support for AJAX forms.
- Easy embedding options.
- Secure payment options with forms and surveys.
Price: Price starts from around $40 per year.
WP Media Manager
Customizability is the name of the game with this feature-rich plugin. It is developed as a WordPress file upload plugin for admin.
There are options to customize your WordPress media library according to your preferences. You can even define the file types and extensions you allow the users to upload.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop folder manager.
- Options to add shortcuts and nested folders.
- Compatible with WooCommerce and Divi builder.
Price: The regular license costs $17 with an additional $4.50 for extended support for up to 12 months.
Gravity Forms File Upload
When you talk about a WordPress form builder & file uploader, you’ll not find the same alternatives popular than Gravity Form. It’s a plugin that lets you create any form professionally.
Gravity Form has a file upload field that lets you add a file upload option in a WordPress website frontend with different styles and formats.
Gravity Form offers many fields/features and its own extensions, even third-party extensions. Along with premium extensions, it has huge free extensions/plugins that you can download directly from the WordPress plugin directory.
Some of the core features are given below.
- File upload fields with many file format
- Conditional logic
- Easy to use with shortcode
- Real-time email notification
- Responsive design
- Fight spam
- Integrations with MailChimp, PayPal, Stripe, Highrise, FreshBooks, Dropbox, Zapier and so many more!
- Compatible with latest themes, plugins, and WordPress version
- 30+ ready-to-use form fields and more.
Price: It costs only $59 per year for a single site with unlimited updates and supports.
WP User Frontend
If you worried about the security of your website, you can use this plugin. A WordPress file upload plugins access the site’s backend to upload and process files. So this would be harmful to site security. But this plugin allows users to upload files directly from the frontend without compromising the website integrity.
Users can easily upload photos and documents from their end. But you can also use it to accept guest posts or sponsored content on your website without any hassle.
- Drag-and-drop form builder.
- Easy-to-use editor in frontend.
- File attachment and linking options.
Price: Free to use with limited features, but the price of a pro version costs only $49 per year.
WordPress File Upload
You can comprise a tech-geek and neat freak in yourself with this simple and straightforward file upload plugin. The plugin has shortcodes to make your experience more organized and systematic.
You can enable users to submit the most common types of files using a sidebar. The intuitive file organizing system and dashboard features are worthy as well.
- Shortcode integration.
- Email notifications.
- Dashboard for organizing files in a dedicated storage location.
Price: Free to use with limited features but the premium version costs only $20 per year.
WooCommerce Drag & Drop Uploader
This innovative plugin is a perfect blend of accessibility and features. Since it’s mostly targeted for e-commerce website developers, but you’ll find various features that can use tailor a specific niche.
It has options for visitors to upload recent photos of your products on a WooCommerce website if you use this plugin. It has an AJAX updating feature that instantly refreshes the website with no manual inputs.
- File type restriction
- Individual settings and customization feature for each product.
- Intuitive user interface with an upload progress bar.
Price: The regular license costs $29 with an additional $9 for extended support for up to 12 months.
Conclusion & Recommendation
A WordPress file upload plugin is an essential part of any website if you need an enjoyable user experience in mind. The nifty little additions can enhance the overall appearance of your website to a large extent.
Our list of the best WordPress file upload plugins combines some of the most feature-rich and innovative plugins available today. All have both free and paid versions. Based on our judgment, we would suggest using any of them from the above list.
However, if you think you’re ready-to-use premium features, you can use any of the paid plugins. Our recommendation would be to use a frontend file upload plugin because a frontend upload plugin is more secure than the backend unloaders.