In this rapidly developing world of web content, WordPress can be considered a forerunner among passionate people and webmasters. Web content developers and website administrators around the globe prefer WordPress as their 1st CMS platform for hosting their websites. Read our guide WordPress Vs Craft CMS.
However, one of the most striking limitations of this platform is its lack of a proper file upload feature. By default, WordPress does not provide an option for viewers to upload a file to a website directly.
If you run a client-based website or author site, then you’ll need to add an option so that visitors can submit a specific type of file. The most convenient way to do so is via a WordPress file upload plugin.
Here, in this article, we bring you a list of some of the best WordPress file upload plugins out there. Let’s go!
- Why Should You Use a WordPress File Upload Plugin?
- What Features Are Must in A WordPress File Upload Plugin?
- Types of WordPress File Upload
- 7 Free + Premium Best WordPress File Uploading Plugins
- WP User Frontend
- Conclusion & Recommendation
Why Should You Use a WordPress File Upload Plugin?
A WordPress file upload plugin can make your website experience much smoother and hassle-free. As a website administrator, you can avail of multiple benefits if you opt to include a file upload plugin to your website. No matter what your website goal is.
Below are some of the many excellent benefits:
- Introduce a customer support feature where visitors can upload screenshots of their problems.
- Obtain quotes from clients if you’re running a service website.
- Receive guest posts on your website to boost your affiliate program or further enrich your blog.
- Accept fanart submissions on your personal website if you’re a celebrity or public media personnel.
- Allow supporters to submit pictures or other submissions if you’re hosting a giveaway
- Collect Resumes or video CVs of applicants if you run an institutional website.
- Collect cover letters from interested students of you’re a professor looking to take in students under your supervision.
What Features Are Must in A WordPress File Upload Plugin?
Before jumping into the list of the best WordPress site upload plugins, let’s get to know about some of the vital features that make them stand out from the rest. Besides the basic functionality of letting you upload a file to the website server from the frontend, these plugins should also have some additional options to enhance your experience further.
The plugin should be able to –
- Integrate with a form builder plugin.
- Process most common extensions and custom files like e-signatures.
- Further, enhance supporting popular plugins like WooCommerce.
- Increase the default file size limit by extending the media library.
Types of WordPress File Upload
The WordPress media library is the fundamental repository to store all the files that you upload to a website. Although there are scopes of radical improvements, WordPress allows you to upload a variety of files by default.
Below are some of the types of WordPress File Uploads:
- Image file upload – .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, and .ico
- Audio file upload – .mp3, .m4a, .ogg, and .wav
- Video file upload – .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mpg, .ogv, .3gp, and .3g2
- Document file upload – .pdf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .ppsx, .odt, .xls, .xlsx, and .psd
However, this is not the limit. Using some of the best WordPress file upload plugins, you can further expand this list of file uploads to have the most fluid experience.
7 Free + Premium Best WordPress File Uploading Plugins
File Upload Type by WPForms
This plugin simply does what it’s supposed to – nothing more, nothing less. If you’re frustrated with the sheer limited number of file upload types that WordPress allows by default, this plugin can be the most straightforward solution for you. Simply install the free plugin and expand the opportunities for file uploads.
The plugin is also compatible with WPForms so you can enhance the user experience for your visitors. Stop worrying about the default limitations once and for all. It’s best-rated as a WordPress zip file uploader plugin.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Support for zip, .xml, .csv, .ai, and, .cad extensions.
- Intuitive internal whitelist options.
Price: Free to download and use from the official WordPress website.
Formidable Form Builder
If you’re tired of using two separate plugins – one for form and one for enhancing the file upload options, this can be a lifesaver. This plugin combines the most exquisite features of a fully functional powerful form builder that has a WordPress file upload feature. Simply integrate this WordPress file upload plugin to your website, and you’re all set.
You can even set the number of files you allow users to upload and customize the form to your liking. The possibilities are limitless with this free WordPress form builder with file upload.
- Effortless integration to the website.
- Email notification features for file uploads.
- Innovative file resizing options.
Price: The premium version pricing plans start from $49 per year, but there is a 14-day risk-free trial option.
Radically improve the file upload experience for your visitors by integrating this WordPress file upload plugin to your website. If you host forms or surveys on your website, it can be a lifesaver since it allows uploading files with a breeze.
There are numerous templates as well that allows customization. You can even track your form submission and protect your website from spam attacks.
- Responsive templates with support for AJAX forms.
- Easy embedding options.
- Secure payment options with forms and surveys.
Price: Pricing plans start from $39.50 per year.
WP Media File Manager
Customizability is the name of the game with this feature-rich plugin. It is developed as a WordPress file upload plugin for admin.
There are options to customize your WordPress media library according to your preferences. You can even define the file types and extensions you allow the users to upload.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop folder manager.
- Options to add shortcuts and nested folders.
- Compatible with WooCommerce and Divi builder.
Price: The regular license costs $25 with an additional $7.50 for extended support for up to 12 months.
WP User Frontend
If you’re worried about the security of your website, you can use this plugin. Regular WordPress file upload plugins have to access the site’s backend to upload and process files. So this would be harmful for site security. But this plugin allows users to upload a file directly from the frontend without compromising the website integrity.
Most users include this WordPress frontend uploader plugin to upload photos and documents from the visitor’s end. But you can also use it to accept guest posts or sponsored content on your website without any hassle.
- Drag-and-drop form builder.
- Easy-to-use editor in frontend.
- File attachment and linking options.
Price: Free to use with limited features but the pro version pricing plans start from $49 per year.
WordPress File Upload
Embrace the tech-geek and neat freak in yourself with this simple and straightforward file upload plugin. The plugin boasts the usage of shortcodes to make your experience more organized and systematic.
You can enable users to submit the most common types of files using a sidebar. The intuitive file organizing system and dashboard features are praiseworthy as well.
- Short Code integration.
- Email notifications.
- Dashboard to organize files in a dedicated storage location.
Price: Free to use with limited features but the premium version pricing plans start from $20 per year.
WooCommerce Drag & Drop Uploader
This innovative plugin is the perfect blend of accessibility and features. Since it’s mostly targeted towards e-commerce website developers, you’ll find various features tailored to that specific niche.
There will be options for the visitors to directly upload recent photos of your products on your WooCommerce website if you use this plugin. An added benefit is the AJAX updating feature that instantly refreshes the website without any manual inputs.
- Restrict the type of files you allow users to upload.
- Individual settings and customization feature for each product.
- Intuitive user interface with an upload progress bar.
Price: The regular license costs 29 USD with an additional 9 USD for extended support for up to 12 months.
Conclusion & Recommendation
A WordPress file upload plugin is an essential part of any website if you have user experience in mind. The nifty little additions can enhance the overall appearance of your website to a large extent.
Our list of the best WordPress file upload plugins combines some of the most feature-rich and innovative plugins available today. There are both free and paid plugins in the list. Based on my judgment, we would suggest going to one of the free plugins if you are a beginner.
However, if you think you are ready to tackle the big leagues hop on to using any of the paid plugins. Our recommendation would be to use any of the Frontend file uploaders since they are the most secure options.
However, remember to properly learn how to use the frontend uploader plugin before integrating it into your website. Otherwise, you’ll be in a lot of trouble. Here’s to an effortless website building experience!